Monday, August 16, 2010

America On-line



God. I remember when I was five, all we had was AOL. There was probably more but AOL is what we used. Aol and Dial-up. Damn, we even used their shitty browser too. I had to have a kid account, which wouldn't let me watch Youtube videos when I was 10. My email address was something unrecognizable by anyone. I didn't even bother to remember it. God damn those days sucked. I rather go home and watch Reba then look up anything on the internet.

Then, one summer, when I wanted to look up this one video that all the kids in school where talking about, and after hours of AOL frustration, I asked my mother "Mom, what is this Internet Explorer thing?"
"Oh, just the same thing as AOl but worse."

As I clicked that shortcut I was freed. I no longer was restricted by my kid aol account. After a year of browsing Anonymously, I got my Yahoo account and began trollin' up flickr. I soon spread to Youtube and the Turboj forums, and then on rockraidersunited. I soon became a blogger, and am now know on the internet as "TheEPICtrainrider" or just "TheTrainRider" in places where I rather not get trolled and the people aren't so nice.


I still remember the days when my reach was locked in by a block and a @aol.com. But now I look back and wonder if I could have gotten onto the internet sooner, and would it have made a difference. Would I have met the same people? I don't know, or care. All I care is that I can now run fire-fox with ad-block and have an actual internet and that you peoples who read my blog read my blog. So I ask you, what was your first browser/email?

And think of all the Aol free-trail disks sitting in land-fills all over the world. Those babies are gonna laaassssssstttttt.

1 comment:

  1. I actually have no idea what my first ISP and email address were - because frankly, I didn't care about the internet. I thought it was boring. SERIOUSLY? WHAT THE HELL? I now spend 99% of my computer time using the internet in some way or other.

    ReplyDelete